Thursday, January 20, 2011

How Do I Do It: Make Bootable USB Flash Drive

So, you already got Windows installation disc or setup but you're using netbook which is CD/DVD drive is not available. I'm sure you'll wondering how to setup a fresh installation of Windows into you netbook especially when you also doesn't have external CD/DVD drive.

This kind of situation also happened to me before when I want to install WinXP into my netbook. However, I sure you got yourself a pendrive/flash drive(whichever you wanna call it). You can make your pendrive bootable(able to boot from pendrive rather than hard drive). Here's how I do it.

Requirements:
-windows installation files
-pendrive(4GB recommended)
-netbook/pc that support boot from usb flash drive

Steps:
1. Download WinToFlash here.
2. Extract it and run the .exe file.
3. Upon running, you'll see windows like this
4. You can follow the wizard to guide you or you also can select "Advanced Mode" to continue but, for sake of simpleness, I will use wizard mode.
5. Press the big-green-write-mark and you'll come to this section. Selecting source and target. Point to windows installation folder or drive(Windows files path). After that, point to your USB drive.
5. Click next and it will make everything for you. From format, install loader, copy files..everything ;)
6. After that, continue try to boot from flash drive. Remember to select boot from USB Flash Drive. Press F9 during POST.

P/s: Need to remember this though, formatting/installing from USB Flash Drive is hell lot slower than using CD/DVD. So, if you got budget or if you a technician, please do yourself a favor, buy external USB DVD Drive :)


4 comments:

  1. hi.
    kudos for grt entry. I've some question though, how to make bootable usb flash drive for linux installation since the software u mentioned is only for windows?
    TQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamualaikum encik.

    I had to use this space since I have no idea how to contact you. Pardon my noobness.

    Anyway, I just bought an Aztech DSL1000EW to replace my old router. Thanks to Mr Google, it seems like you are using the same router.

    It connects just fine but not the wireless connection. I did what I do normally with other routers but for some reason this one just won't work.

    So ugh.. what did I do wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waalaikumsalam..

    Yep..im still using this router..;)

    I'll try my best to assist you. Can you please elaborate more about the problem?..what i can guess is you cannot connect wirelessly to your router via mobile device(netbook/laptop/handphone)..

    well, from my experience, some device like mobile phone cannot connect to router if you using WPA or WEP encryption(depends on the device though)..i set my encryption to 'open' with password and it works well for some time now..below is screen cap for my wireless security setting..(copy and enter into your address bar).

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ktFS5U9Ag34/TT1y28Cl3eI/AAAAAAAAAWQ/yFJHxmBq7wY/s320/2.JPG

    another thing you MIGHT wanna try is start from scratch..reset and configure everything back..dont forget to reboot everytime you done configure anything.(this is indeed very leceh)

    i hope that helps..:)

    by the way, my email is senndoh@gmail.com..

    TQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. -anonymous-
    you can go to this website
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer.exe

    i just installed ubuntu 10.10 netbook remix using this tools and it works fantabulous..step and procedure is given at: http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is much appreciated. Thanks :)